Awesomeland Servers Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Awesomeland Servers Forums

Forums for the AWESOME Minecraft Server Chain, Awesomeland!

HOW TO DO A BUG REPORT

SquidThePrinter
    SquidThePrinter
    Admin

HOW TO DO A BUG REPORT Empty HOW TO DO A BUG REPORT

Post by SquidThePrinter Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:49 am

This is a new forum to keep track of any bugs on the server. If you think you found a bug, please post a thread inside this forum and provide as much information as possible in reference to the bug.

Once we know a bug has been resolved, one of the admins will notify the OP inside the thread and we'll lock it, as well as changing the title to include "Resolved" or "Fixed".

Below is a COPY n PASTE, and modified to apply to the AWESOMELAND server.

Why should I bother learning how to write a good bug?: The reason for writing a good bug is simple: The faster that the Admins can understand and reproduce a bug, the faster that bug will get fixed.

How do I know that I've found a bug?: If you think you've found a bug at all, you should report it. In the worst case, you have actually found a bug, and in the best case, someone will point out that what your experiencing is intended functionality and will (hopefully) explain how to avoid the issue that you're experiencing. Often, bugs will go unreported because people aren't sure if it is "worth" reporting. The fact of the matter is that *every* bug is worth reporting.

Before you write the bug: Do a search of the bug report forum. Make sure that your bug is not already in the forum. If it is, feel free to add any additional information to the existing thread, by try to avoid "me too" posts unless specifically requested by the Admins. When searching, use keywords that describe the bug as accurately as possible. For example: "Missing item" is not nearly as clear as "Missing Diamond Sword" or even "Missing Sword." Keep in mind that this forum is for the reporting and tracking of in-game bugs, and is *not* any sort of means of fixing the bug or correcting the trouble you encountered. For issue resolution, please contact the customer service forum.

What should I title the bug?: A bug's title should be a clear, concise description of the issue. Something like "Mobs are spawning." is good. "OMG game brokezor" is not good. Think about what keywords someone might use to search for your bug, and try to include a few in your title. That way, anyone who browses through the forum will instantly know what your bug is, just from the title.

What elements go into a bug description?: A bug description contains several important parts: First is the bug description (What happened), second are the steps to reproduce the bug (How do you make the bug happen), and third is any supporting evidence (links to screenshots, etc.). Since this is just a forum, and not a professional bug reporting tool, I don't think that anyone truly expects full research into issues or screenshots, movies, etc. of them. However, the more information that you can provide, the better! It is also sometimes helpful to list the "who" and "where" of a bug as well: Which character(s) experience the bug and where the bug occurred. Sometimes the "who" and "where" will be what kind of computer and operating system you have, and where in the real world you happen to be located. The "why" is what the developers will find out and fix.

One particular type of bug is a permission fail. If you are playing a game or are simply just walking around, and a chat message randomly reads "You do not have permission" or "Unknown action" or something, tell us. Some "bugs" are intentional, and prevent you from doing illegal things on the server.